Freaky Gear: SMART Hybrid

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Jun 2 19:49:15 CEST 2008

Tony Scharf wrote:
> The new Prius gets 60m/g I here.  Tempting with gas prices starting to
> inch up to $5.00 per gallon.

Huh?
A friend drives an older model, cheapo basic diesel family car and gets
about 60-70mpg. It has a gauge for mpg constantly updated so you can
experiment and adjust your driving to save fuel as you desire.

$5 = £2.50

A gallon = 4.55 litres

In Uk, petrol (diesel is more expensive) is about £1.30 or so per litre.
(creeping higher as I type. Some remote areas in Scotland are far more
expensive than London and other areas around England)

Which is £5.92 per gallon.
So, about $11.84 per gallon!!!
You have to be disgustingly rich to own many gas guzzlers here.

The most ludicrous irony, which my mother doesn't understand and still
believes Scotland survives only on England subsidies, is that Scotland
produces 10x the fossil fuels that it consumes. Yet we are the only
excess producer of energy on the planet that does not have any consumer
benefits from the industry. Don't mention the Barnett formula, that's
just a London in-joke ;)