what an ass, I have a serious gear issue...

James R. Coplin EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Jul 30 18:29:49 CEST 2008

That's the problem.  I've tried all that.  I got married.  That certainly
helped for a while.  My wife has an uncanny sense of smell.  One time, a
year or so after we were married, I bought a new effect rack.  Nothing
flashy, black, single space.  Easily fit into the 6' equipment rack without
drawing any notice.  I threw the box, packing material, etc. away in a
neighbor's trashcan.  In the alley.  On the other side of the street.
Someone we don't even like.  My wife comes home and I'm in the studio
working on some stuff so she comes to talk to me.  She's chatting away and
then it happens. Sniff.  Hmmm, keeps talking, blah, blah blah. Pause. Sniff.
"I smell new electronics."  She walks around a bit a quickly zeroes in on
the rack.  Walks over scans down the stack of gear and points.  "That.
That's new!"  Busted. 100% completely busted.  In grand style.  However,
after 14 years, the wife effect wanes.

I bought a house about the same time I got married.  That really didn't help
because for the first time, I actually had room for my studio.

I had a kid 4 years ago.  That really helped.  No money or time to do
anything.  That's pretty much why I haven't gotten any music done in ages
and am only slowly starting to restart.

I even went back to grad school to work on my Phd.  This has really meant
financial hardship and a total lack of time.  However, even that is evening
out and I've bought a couple of pieces of gear this year and I still have
one big one on the horizon.

I think I'm out of options.  There aren't really any more standard fun
limiting factors I can apply to help curb the gear.

James R. Coplin

Work is the Curse of the Drinking Class