w00t powah !

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Jul 23 15:01:24 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 7:17 AM, M-.-n <nostromo at arkaos.net> wrote:

> Yeah, we spent a lot of time on that with GrandVJ too.. we have an 8
> core mac here and it's pretty funny. each time you kick a new HD layer,
> a new core starts working like crazy (on that machine, we handle about 7
> 1920x1080 layers at 25 fps btw).
>
> I haven't looked yet how good live did spread across all cores.. I will
> do some experiment.

As I understand it, Live does multi-core support in a strange way - it
allocates each track to a core with main app always running on the
first core.  As you add tracks, it circles around.

I have heard that with this way of doing things, if you dont
distribute your load by putting your heaviest tracks on alternate
'cores' you can overload one core while the others are well with in
normal range.

of course, I dont have a multicore machine (yet) so this is all hearsay.

Tony