Focusrite Liquid Mix Opinions?

punkdISCO EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Jul 14 21:30:05 CEST 2008

Hi James

Here are my views on the alternatives:

The thing that puts me off with the Duende, PowerCore, Universal Audio stuff
is the price can keep escalating ending with you spending considerably more
that you intended. Sure, they come with bundles and you don't have to
expand.  But I just cant help thinking that extra pluggins are crazy money.
I mean, the SSL stuff is free with LM yet a few hundred squid with others.

And regarding the sound of the various units; you cant go wrong with any.
Sure, you will read the 'occasional' slating of one or the other, but ALL of
the credible reviews you read of any of them says they are all exceptional.
This could then lead you to the cheapest (the LM by far) but I would not buy
the LM if I was making the decision today.  I would probably just go for the
Waves stuff as again, sonically there is nothing in it and any DAW you buy
today could probably run 32+ tracks with full dynamics on every channel. I
typically get to about 24 tracks and have tons of dynamics going on; my CPU
hits about 20%.

But one BIG advantage they all have over the LM is, the LM only does
EQ/Compression.  But again, is this a problem?  Everyone has quality effects
and tons of CPU.

Im sounding a little anti DSP but Im not. I expect what would happen if I
had my time again is, I would get some Waves stuff then decide to get a very
minimal DSP setup to compliment but, it would have to be one that gave me
everyting I needed in the single payment.  I would not spend hundreds with
the view to then spending more hundreds.

Phew..

Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk
Banned by YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EvlOpBe0xU
"thats mental! and rather fkin ace too! cheers! dick subhumans"