iPhone 3G ..

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Jul 10 21:32:14 CEST 2008

> From: Jay Vaughan <seclorum at mac.com>
>> Well, I just got handed a new project at work, involving the iPhone
>> 3G.
> I thought you were playing with model trains at work? :)

I'm in the base platform group, I make firmware and platform-specific
stuff. Turns out, some folks who want to jailbreak their iPhones and
put some tools on it think our group are the best ones to do it ..
but anyway, I got out of it.  I don't really want to have to fight
Apple so our guys can have their apps onboard; I told 'em to buy
Freerunners if they want it in their pockets .. but I do have to admit
that an afternoon of discovery on the state of iPhone music-making has
piqued my interest in the platform .. just a little bit ..

> So does this have anything to do with ECTS/ERTMS? Because I thought
> that this works on GSM technology and bespoke handsets. Or is the
> NDA spectre lurking here?

ECTS/ERTMS are references more to the applications layer, whereas I
work on base platform; the product I work on (a full-blown life safety-
rated operating system) is standardized as the base platform for all
other apps and targets.  Our machines support tons of cool stuff ..
everything from shunting and signalling, to booking, operator console,
onboard analysis and online testing, automation, even ticketing ..
pretty fun, also, to be going through the stepping-A/B/C evolution
with Intel and their new chip, lots of low-level hacking for me.

;
--
Jay Vaughan