eeepc and music software

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Jul 10 10:58:55 CEST 2008

Andy Tarpinian wrote:
> The 901 is out which looks sweet with that Atom. The Linux versions
> look to be non existent.

"But does it run Linux?"

> I sold my 4G a bit ago, for basically what I bought it for, as I did
> not have time at that point to geek around with Linux and the screen
> was too small for my liking. May hook up with one of these again at
> some point though.

It's fiddly, but windows XP goes on and runs very well.
It boots fast too.
800x480 is just a bit too narrow and short, but using drivers tweaked to
allow scaling and AsTray plus, there are 5 scaled resolutions up to
1024x768 some of which are ok. Only need them for the odd web page or
software. Rotating the screen sometimes works too for viewing docs and
things.

Of course, a 1024 wide screen helps, but it costs about £100 more.
I wonder if a spare/replacement 90x series screen, or similar, could be
easily retro'd into a 701 (lose the internal speakers) at a later date.
A nice upgrade. But it means hacking in some internal mods might be tricky.
The old screen could be reused for something else or 'bay'd.