what's cooking?

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Jul 2 19:56:56 CEST 2008

Ron West wrote:
> most culinary herbs are the easiest plants to grow gert - they LOVE to
> be abused! they grow great in poor soil, don't need water like veg
> plants do, don't need fertilizer...

If potting up, use an organic fertiliser in with the soil and they will
grow fast, depending on what it is. Don't use a chemical fertiliser,
obviously :)

I potted up mixed greens, mostly rocket, just like the salads we get in
bags here for £1+ in the shops. It takes only 2-3 weeks from seed before
you can start plucking the biggest leaves off. The plants keep spouting
for months and if your pot is wide enough, you can eat these salad
things every other day without ruining the plants.

I also potted the typical parsley (takes weeks to germinate) and chives
a rosemary bush (I wouldn't call it a bush yet, very slow growing, but
it is a strong herb so only small plucks are needed) and have less
common things like catnip and sorrel (sorrel grows fast, has a sort of
fruity, applely taste and can be used in drinks or salads) It looks
exactly like a common weed round here, but I tasted one of those weeds
and it burned. Not in a good way ;)