Expressiveness (was Software vs. Hardware)

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jul 1 18:44:21 CEST 2008

> But if you're starting to get into music, can't play but edit it to a
> great track. Is that automatically not good? I don't think so.

Its not automatically not good, unless it automatically prevents you
from continuing to play and refine your skills with an instrument.

> I bought my first own synth in 1988. It was a Korg M1. While I
> certainly
> put it to the max I can say for sure that my tracks had been a bit
> boring if I would have kept only that one. :)

Perhaps one of the reasons I resist the urge to edit is that in fact
my first real synth experience involved an utterly horid interface:
that of the Yamaha DX5.  It was great to have two big fat instruments
in the one machine, but to have to use those buttons and a single
slider to do anything interesting: yuck.  Yet I carried on for years
with this mode, until in fact the mid-90's, when I decided to avoid
all edit and play with the actual physical object, instead, as a
musician.

> The software-kiddies have it a bit different though. There you really
> have to watch it and not succumb to GAS.

Cheap Ass is still Ass.  Same for GAS, I suppose..

;
--
Jay Vaughan