eeepc and music software

Gert van Santen EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jul 1 12:20:08 CEST 2008

Jay Vaughan schreef:
>>> for sketching tunes?
>>> Hm ...
>> Yeah, and for experimenting with sound a bit. I don't want to use
>> 20 different little progs to work with...
>

> This is the typical process:
>
> 1. Open up my EEE PC.
> 2. Start up alsactrl and notice my MIDI interface hardware (emagic mt4
> works seamlessly, no install necessary).
> 3. Start up seq24, note that it appears in alsactrl as a module.
> 4. Start up zynaddsubfx, amsynth, etc.  These also appear as modules
> in alsactrl.
> 5. Make the connections from seq24 to my MIDI interface, so I can play
> MIDI from the piano controller, then make connections from seq24 to
> all the softsynths I've started.
> 6. Play.  Record new sequences in seq24, edit, mute, cue, etc.
> 7. Close the EEE PC.
>
> 8. .. come back later, open it up, keep playing.
>
> Note: its Linux.  You only have to do all of the above once, when you
> first start up the machine, then just leave it all running for months
> and months.  That works!  ;)

Great! I almost can't wait.

This mini laptop market is really developing very fast, so I
think it might be wise to wait a couple of months. OTOH I am so
very interested in playing with Linux on a mini laptop with ssd
drive. And these computers are not really expensive...

--

:-)

G e r t  v a n  S a n t e n