Expressiveness (was Software vs. Hardware)

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jul 1 08:52:15 CEST 2008

> We need to get back to a focus on actually playing music instead of
> programming parameters.

Hoo-ray!  Kill your DAW!

> At some point, synths stopped being instruments and
> became sound generators comprised of independent parameters. I'm not
> sure
> when it occurred but it definitely did.

"Total Integration", p'shaw!  What about a few more knobs instead, I
always said.

> However, there has also been
> the underbelly where music creation in many ways has become too easy.

There aren't as many electronic musicians around as you think.  There
are a lot more music "programmers", however.

Choice 1: Watch some fool work their DAW.
Choice 2: Watch some dork hack code.
Choice 3: Watch a hotty make the synth do big things.

> Most
> electronic musicians have not dedicated themselves to an instrument
> and sat
> down and really slogged through the time it takes to begin to play
> one.

Yup.

> Instead, we have moved the definition of performance to allow
> montage lab
> equipment assemblages to pass as music and art. Sequenced, arranged
> parameters have become the norm and the true performance is the
> aberration.

Yup.

> You know why the players of the 70's wore capes?  Because they earned
> them...

You are my new hero.

;
--