eee pc .. w00t!

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jan 25 21:21:13 CET 2008

> Never heard about them before - after looking them up, it looks like a
> really cool tool!

its great, but i broke it already.  trying to restore it now.  stupid
me and the SSD just didn't get along .. who needs a partition table
anyway, meh ..

hopefully i'll fix it coz it was *DAMN COOL* there for a few hours..
fortunately asus give you all the tools you need to repair the SSD ..
a matter of setting up a USB disk with the right recovery tool and
then rebooting the machine, hopefully to reformat the SSD and do a
software recovery/reinstall.

i'd managed, though, before all this, to set it up really nice - i am
*really* impressed with the work ASUS did on the linux distro.
everything worked super easily - webcam, wlan, ethernet, USB
devices.  i even had the wonderful experience of driving on the
g?rtel on the way home during friday rush-hour and just having the
EEE PC tell me all the wlans it found in the vicinity .. great fun!
that was a very nice user experience, let me tell you ..

> I'm not quite sure I could really get along with the
> very low display resolution (I'm a resolution junkie), but I'd be
> really
> curious to give it a go on my next business trip.

man, i had just put Audacity on it and was cranking away, no
problems, editing jams that i'd had saved on my usb keychain, was
finally deciding to set up another SD card, and then i goofed and
screwed it up.  really, though, it was *so* smooth to get running and
start doing audio stuff on it, it blew me away.  its a sweet little,
tiny baby machine, and it can run all the grown up software just
fine.  haven't quite gotten the chance to put the other things that i
want on it yet, like hydrogen and bristolsynth and mame and stuff,
but when i get it back in working order, it for sure is going to get
all the goodies .. i'm going to try all the linux DAW apps i can get
my hands on, for sure..

> How's the keyboard? Is there a tool available to display powerpoint
> presentations on Linux?

they keyboard takes some getting used to, i think it will be fine
after a few more hours worth of use - of course, i have the german
setup, which is a bit frustrating at first i have to confess, but i'm
expecting to get over it soon enough.  if you get one, for sure get
the layout of your choice ..

as for powerpoint: a huge big fat *YES*, .ppt files work great on it,
the full openoffice suite is onboard and works wonderfully well out
of the box.  i put all my work docs on it pretty much straight away
(8gig SD card) and they opened without any glitches whatsoever.  i'm
terrifically happy with the machine, its fantastic .. and i'm also
very proud and impressed and honoured by what linux has become,
because the whole system just runs so well.  dare i say it, even runs
better than the OOBE of the mac world.  i think my MBP is my *LAST*
bit of apple hardware, given this experience, so *:P there mr.
jobs!!!  :)  the next ASUS linux laptop, given this experience, is
gonna be pure sex, i'm sure.

okay, soon as i get it running, i'll give you another progress
report.. should be easy enough, it was really stupid of me to be
hacking with partition tables in the middle of taking care of the
boy, that is for sure (fwiw, mid-nappy change i did fdisk /dev/sda
when i should've done fdisk /dev/sdb, grr...)

;
--
Jay Vaughan