Dollars are cheap

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Jan 20 21:28:03 CET 2008

Dave S schreef:

> That was basically what I was getting at - that national borders don't really
> do much for ordinary people except keep us imprisoned.  OK, often we are able
> to choose to leave one prison and go to another one which is slightly nicer
> (if they'll take us), but really, all these imaginary lines drawn in the
> ground just serve to divide us, and keep us subservient to (and often unable
> to escape from) the people with the power and the money.

Still, sometimes people *want* such borders. Current example: Kosovo.
The Albanian majority wants independence; what's left of the Serb
minority doesn't. Serbia obviously doesn't want it, but this is
generally ignored, except by states that have sizeable ethnic minorities
themselves (Spain, Romania, Russia).

What's ironic about Kosovo is that the area used to be almost completely
Serb in the Middle Ages, but even since the number of Albanians has
risen a lot faster than the number of Serbs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographic_history_of_Kosovo

A Serbian friend of mine had something to say about this, although his
comments don't tally with the above article. But according to his uncle
or his grandfather, "Kosovo [would] not be conquered by sword, but by
dick". In other words, the Albanians bred like rabbits.

Looks like the Serbs are going to turn their backs on the EU today, not
entirely surprising. But the Balkans is an area where I think that, at
the moment, national borders still make sense. Maybe, hopefully, this
will change in the future.

- Peter