Digital Mixers: what have you got your eyes on?

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Jan 20 20:43:21 CET 2008

Not much new has happened with digital mixers in the last few years.
Since I got my 01v96 (which I have since sold in favor of mixing in
the box) not much new has happened at all. The trend seems to be
analog consoles with FireWire or USB2 PC connectivity either as rack
mount boxes with 8 inputs ( and usually ADAT) or something like the
Mackie Onyx 1640 which is an analog console with a FW option to add 16
direct inputs to your computer.   With the first you loose the nice
physical control surface of a mixer, and with the second you loose the
ability to recall snapshots.

The only new mixer that does both is the Korg Zero8 which is a pretty
cool concept - 16 inputs as stereo pairs, with firewire, a touch
screen for interaction, and it will act as a DAW controller.  One
feature I find particularly compelling is the ability to switch
configure the console channel by channel to either be controlling
input, controlling the daw, or controlling some softsynth within the
daw.  I'd own one, save for a few reservations:  Its expensive,
designed more for the DJ market (where audio and build quality seem to
be often sacrificed) and i dont think you can chain units to allow for
more than 8 instruments to be connected/controlled.

For myself, I am going to be getting a Presonus FireStudio (probably)
and using my SAC2.2 as a mixing surface.  ive got some ADAT converters
so I can get 26 total inputs and I can do zero latency mixing through
there.  I think its the best option available, but unfortunately
requires a PC to be utilized.

Tony