Digital Mixers: what have you got your eyes on?

punkdISCO EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Jan 20 18:23:40 CET 2008

Hi Jay

> What have you guys got your eyes on?  Anything in particular
> interesting worth considering?

Its hardly new and sexy, but I have been using a SoundCraft 328 for a few
years now.  My reason for getting it was: at the time the current Yamaha's
were critisized for their sound and were quite limited in terms of i/o.  The
328 is regarded as a very analogue sounding desk and has a very analogue
feel (no menu's etc).  It also has up to 42 analogue inputs.

http://www.soundcraft.com/product_sheet.asp?product_id=38

Things I don't like about it:
1) paranoid that it does not sound as good as an good analogue desk but got
no real means to check this.  Sounds fine to me and the reviews are
complimentary
2) Although it has 8 buses, there are no inserts on them.  Sure, you can use
the internal compressors on the buses but I never do.
3) they will be very cheap today
4) Channels 17-24 only have 20bit converters on mine because of the ADAT
converter boxes I have. The desk still runs at 24bit (56bit internally) but
not sure if these 16 inputs will be inferior to the desks other 24bit
converts.

Obviously things have moved on a lot since I first got it, but if you are
thinking old/used/cheap then you will struggle to find better for the price.

Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk