Dollars are cheap

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Jan 19 21:41:17 CET 2008

Mikael Hansson schreef:

> Does anyone know if you have to pay customs and VAT when importing it to
> the EU, or is it likely that it just slips by?

Unless you live in Norway, import duties are regulated at EU-level and
you should be able to look them up on your tax department's or customs
office's web site. I can't seem to locate it myself.

You pay a certain percentage, depending on the sort of item you're
importing. Then, you pay VAT (which is dependent on your country) over
the item's value *and* the import duty. I'm not sure whether you pay VAT
over the shipping costs. There may be costs associated with the goods
being declared

You can forget about trying to have it slip past. It's a criminal
offence to not declare goods, or to declare them incorrectly, or to have
them be declared incorrectly by the courier. And they're very keen on it
these days.

- Peter