Production question

Gorman, Declan EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Jan 10 13:05:11 CET 2008

Hi Martin,
  The arrangement certainly needs some work and I will address that but
what I was trying to achieve with the track and using the synth is the
quiet to loud to quiet to loud method that you hear in a lot of songs.
I think the filter on the instrument achieves this nicely so it's just a
case of doing it properly.

  Your comments are appreciated.  Thank you.

Regards,

Declan.

-----Original Message-----
From: shelter-bounces at lists.music-bar.org
[mailto:shelter-bounces at lists.music-bar.org] On Behalf Of Martin Naef
Sent: 10 January 2008 12:01
To: shelter at lists.music-bar.org
Subject: Re: Production question

Declan,

Gorman, Declan wrote:
>   I am re-visiting a track that I made a while back and have a
question
> regarding one aspect of it that is bothering me.  The main synth line
> which is prominent throughout the track drowns out a lot of the other
> sounds when the filter is opened up and while I still want to retain
the
> dynamics of the sound I don't want it to drown out every thing else.

I don't think you can do much in the mix here - this is a problem of
arrangement. Your lead sound is very wide, so you have to make room for
it: Drop other elements from the arrangement that collide where you want

your lead to be dominant. If you just compress the lead, it will loose
impact.

Having said that, I do think the lead is a bit too prominent too often.
I'd really open up the filter a lot less. It will have a lot more impact

if you only bring it up a few times.

Bye
Martin