Production question

Chris Strellis EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Jan 10 10:20:59 CET 2008

Hi Declan,

>sounds when the filter is opened up and while I still want to
>retain the
>dynamics of the sound I don't want it to drown out every thing else.

Do you mean the dynamics as in volume or the drama as in the sonic timbre?

If it is volume then something has to give and it will drown out the other sounds.

Try compressing just this synth line audio so that it more or less remains a constant amplitude. Yeah this will be heavy compression, but don't be afraid of it, it doesn't necessarily mean squeezing the life out of something. It can make it more punchy and powerful.  Alternatively, draw in a volume correction to lower the volume at this point - kind of like an automated mix.

Cheers

Chris