Euro

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Jan 6 19:42:01 CET 2008

Joost Schuttelaar schreef:

> On Jan 6, 2008, at 3:17 PM, Peter Korsten wrote:
>
>> I have to say that the Maltese 1 and 2 euro coins are the coolest I've
>> ever laid eyes upon.
>
> Hmm... I like the temple and the Maltese cross. Very geometrical.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltese_euro_coins

I'm not to keen on the temple, since the coins are really small, and you
don't get a very good impression of the real thing. The coat of arms is
boring, and incidentally bears a striking resemblance to the coat of
arms of the ruling party:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Malta

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partit_Nazzjonalista

One of the first things they changed after coming into power.

But the Maltese cross is such a strong and recognisable symbol. There's
just the cross, 'MALTA' in between the points, the twelve stars and
(very tiny) the year. No monarch's head, no animals (like eagles), no
obscure pet that nobody has ever heard of: just the cross, with an
interesting effect to achieve the difference in reflection between the
cross and the background.

> The Slovenian ones are not so pretty :)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovenian_euro_coins

Nor are the Cypriot...