Happy New Year!

g.vansanten at chello.nl EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Jan 2 23:09:48 CET 2008

---- Peter Korsten <peter at severity-one.com> schreef:
> From: <g.vansanten at chello.nl>
>
> >---- Peter Korsten <peter at severity-one.com> schreef:
> >>
> >> Well, it was the year in which we were told that what our little boy has is called "high-functioning autism". It's not this condition I'm worried about, but what will happen when his mummy and daddy can't look after him any longer.
> >
> >I'm so sorry to hear that, Peter.
>
> Thanks; I know you are, as is everyone else here.
>
> I did send a longer e-mail about this yesterday, but it only went to Niall and this stupid web mail client doesn't save sent e-mails.
>
> Anyway, this is what our little trip to London was about.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for being so elaborate about this. I can see how a thing like this might not have been easy for everyone to come out with.

Although there seem to be plenty of things to worry about, as you mentioned, I see a lot of positive aspects about your son's character. He is intelligent, he is happy, he is a funny kid, he is very cute, and there are manny things he is interested in (ok, he falls asleep with my music, but that could be a good thing, too). I have only had the pleasure to meet your son for a couple of days, and I think he made your whole house a happy house.

Something else. It is really a big thing today, finding new 'diseases' and 'disorders' for every little thing that makes some people differ from most others. Are we not allowed to be different anymore? Different can be extremely beautiful.
I'm not trying to tell you that your boy will never find troubles in his life, but everyone who is just a bit different from the big majority, does find himself or herself in big problems sometimes. I know I do...

What I can see from knowing you, Yana, from what I have seen from the little captain, and from other kids in my surroundings that 'suffer' from something... you have a beautiful child: enjoy it's life, enjoy your life with JL, and let him find it's way in society. Just trust him. It will work. He is special. Who knows, he might be the first captain on a Maltese starship to Alpha Centauri, just BECAUSE of the fact that he is special...

--
:-)

Gert