Motu 2408 Mk2 verses Mk3

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Aug 31 14:52:46 CEST 2008

punkdISCO wrote:
> Anyone know what the difference between the Mk2 and Mk3 is?  The old Mk2
> seems extremely cheap:

The MK2 added 24bit converters over the MK1, and the MK3 introduced
96kHz recording. Unless you want 96k, I wouldn't be too bothered about
mk2 vs. mk3.

BUT:
The mk2 in that e-bay auction comes with a PCI-324. This card does not
support modern 3.3V PCI slots. You need a PCIX-424 (or the PCIe-424) to
ensure compatibility. You'll find a lot of second-hand 324, but only few
424 for that reason - I know, because I had to upgrade mine... A new 424
sets you back £200. I got a used 424 with two 1224 for £300...

If I was you, I'd probably go hunting for a used 24I/O (typical asking
price seems to be between £500 and £700) or a 2408mk3 if you want to use
your existing equipment. You always hook up the old interfaces to a new
PCI-424, but you can't run an old PCI card in a modern computer...

BTW: The MOTU system does mix and route on the card (similar to the RME
system), which I find very useful. You can't do that between different
interfaces off a Firewire or USB bus.

Bye
Martin