cool .. make your own monome controller ..

Paul Maddox EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Aug 21 17:26:04 CEST 2008

Jay,

> Its okay that there are differences - my work for a synth mfr provided
> a different economy of scale, perhaps, than yours and as you know from
> your experience, prices vary vastly across different markets ..

yep, and from country to country :-)

> I believe the old maxim applies: Shop until you get the price you
> need.  If you think its not worth time spent shopping, then thats
> another thing entirely.

aye, I speant about 3 months shopping for prices for Tempest.

> That was bloody expensive.

yep, the UK got discounted VERY quickly :-)
Oh, and that was the *BEST* price I got in the UK !

> What if you went to Hungary, like the Germans do?  Did you shop
> there?  Please keep in mind that the UK prices for things electronic
> *are always more exorbitant than their European compatriates* due to
> the very nature of the worthless UKP, itself.

I looked at hungary, I forget who now, but they were marginally more than china.
As Tempest needed one board for each voice and we wanted 10 voices, a
1000 gave us 100 units, which fitted nicely with the break point for
cases.
And I was working with Mr hartmann on this, so we used all his
contacts to get best prices aswell.

> I don't think DIY is the big fat answer to synths, the universe, and
> everything, but it sure is cooler to see a performance by someone who
> made their own synth than someone who is playing factory presets on a
> dinosaur.

Agreed, DIy is the place for new ideas, and new ways of performing.

>  And I, for one, am /sick to death/ of hearing presets I
> recognize from the 'pro synth' days, all over the world.  Not trying
> to force an absolute; just state an opinion.

totally agree, hence why I decided long ago that if I sell another
synth it will come with maximum of 10 preset sounds, the other 90
you'd have to create yourself.

Defender will, for a long while, not have any presets as it's a low
priority thing to do.

Paul
p.s. did we just agree on something Jay? and without flame throwers
and asbestos suits?