Well, That was Interesting

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Aug 14 01:10:43 CEST 2008

Gert van Santen schreef:

> If you want bike-friendly, come to Holland (yes, Peter ;-)

Except Amsterdam. :)

Actually, the whole of the Netherlands is super bicycle friendly. There
are some hills in the very south, sandwiched between Belgium and
Germany, but apart from a few nasty climbs it's all nice. See, the Dutch
are just as organised as the Swiss, but without those pesky mountains.
:) (I remember Martin mentioning something about that he couldn't get it
up when he had two young women in his car.)

So you have bicycle paths practically everywhere, and usually they are
separate from the main road. If you cycle from Amsterdam to Zandvoort on
the seafront (I've done it once, only 25 km as the crow flies, but then
I had to get back again), you have dedicated cycling paths practically
the entire trip.

Especially the bit in the dunes, where you go over a cycling path that
is completely dedicated, with not a road in sight (only the railway at
certain points), rolling up and down and with many bends is *fantastic*
to do on a mountain/city bike. Put it in the highest gear and try to
break the speed record.

Because the bicycle lanes in my native country are like billiard tables
but with more friction, my MTB/CB doesn't have suspension. It's a bit
like the handbrake on your car in the Netherlands: largely superfluous.

Unfortunately, I've hiked on mountains that were smoother than some of
the roads we have in Malta, and a Lunokhod would probably be a better
choice of vehicle than an otherwise perfectly good MTB without
suspension. That, combined with the driving skills of the average
Maltese that would put Stephen Hawking to shame, and the weather that is
simply harsh in summer, makes that a car is the overall healthier choice.

- Peter