Is there any new music that is really awesome?

EMAIL HIDDEN EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Aug 12 11:05:07 CEST 2008

Gert,

> If we believe Jay, it might be because we're in the copy/paste
> era... ;-)

my personal belief is that making music has gotten too easy.
What I mean is, if you wanted to play music before you had to put a lot of
blood, sweat, tears, practice and thought into it.
It took time, you had to 'craft' your song, even 'grow' it.

These days it seems all too easy to slap on a sequencer, multitrack 4
dozen synths, record vocals, layer them, edit them and blam done.

There is of course a flip side, in that getting ideas from your head to
'mp3/wav/tape/cd/laptop' is a LOT quicker so you can easily capture the
moment and not loose a great idea.

Perhaps another aspect is that there's nothing realy 'new'.
It's all been done before, like the three chords for guitars (which covers
most of the 60s and 70s). Dance music has become too samey (909 drums,
hihat on the offbeat, bass line on beast 1 and 3, etc).

Rock music is the same, it's all about heavily gated, distored, chunky
sounds and screaming into a mic (with a few noteable exceptions).

Pop is all about selling a product, and goes with whatever is flavour of
the month.

Perhaps the last 'original' bit of music I bought was the Skalpel album,
but even that harks back to music concrete/jazz.

no-one really seems to be trying and/or bothered, they just want to be a
rock star and pose for cameras and get their name in lights.

> I have a theory on that one. I might share it with the bar later,
> but I've got a sh*tload of work now...

Looking forward to hearing that one :-)

Paul