New Bike

Andy Tarpinian EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Aug 7 20:20:18 CEST 2008

On Aug 7, 2008, at 1:53 PM, The Dong wrote:

> Andy Tarpinian wrote:
>> Got one of these,
>> http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/sst.htm
>
> It looks like the standard road bike.

Well there is a huge trend that started with bike messengers in urban
areas of taking fixed gear track bikes(or converting road bikes) with
no brakes and using them on the street. Fixies if you will. Across the
country so called "hipsters," especially in Brooklyn NY have latched
on to the idea making it a bit trendy. In my case, cheap versions of
these bikes make a great city bike. This guy comes stock with a free
wheel for single speed action, but you can flip the wheel and attach a
fixed gear. I'm definitely going to try this out as being in direct
control of the wheel (no coasting, pealing backwards) sound
interesting, but I will not be taking off the brakes :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed-gear_bicycle

> Should last another 30 years, hehe.
> I love free(ish) stuff.

There is a Recycle a bicycle shop here that I want to check out for a
bike for my girlfriend, cool idea but they may only stock "nice" bikes.

http://www.recycleabicycle.org/

There is another place that sells refurbished 80's bicycles at a
premium.  If you lived here Dong you could make some good change
fixing up old bikes to sell :)