Network question

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Sep 26 20:00:55 CEST 2007

Mikael Hansson schreef:

> Tony Scharf wrote:
>> The first one.  you dont want your computers in the DMZ without the
>> routers firewall.
>>
>> thats how I have mine setup, anyway.
>
> That's a good point. Didn't think about that.
> Thanks!

For the computers, you could get away with the OS firewall. But for your
network disc?

The reason why it works for me is because the modem does its own
authentication and has its own DHCP server.

But wait a moment, I've got all machines connected to the *router*. With
the switch, you could run into trouble with allocating network ports. A
switch just switches, whereas a router has that little bit extra that
makes it work hassle-free.

For instance, the WiMax modem I've got now will let you connect a hub or
a switch and run two (or more?) sessions over one WiMax connection, each
computer getting its own IP address, but then you won't have a local
network.

- Peter