Question: recording live musicians / clipped audio

Cyrille.Damez at laposte.net EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Sep 22 00:47:09 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 19 September 2007 20:42:17 Tony Hardie-Bick wrote:
> Not sure I'd agree with the "tube sound misses the point" comment, Mr
> Dong. Much as I don't buy into that gear, being hyped and such, I can
> say for sure that I like something about tube distortion (or maybe I
> should say the interaction between a transfer function and the
> fluctuation dynamics of thermionic noise).

Speaking of last century's technology, as some of you may remember, I recently
broke my record player needle. I decided to take this occasion and replace my
crappy Stanton DJ turntable with one more appropriate for home listening.
After taking advices, and a bit of listening at my local dealer's, I opted
for a Rega P3 equipped with a moving coil elliptical head. Although I was
never a fan of "the vynil sound", I must admit that this combo gives my
(quite good) Arcam cd player a run for its money, especially for albums
recorded before the 90s. In particular, I was quite shocked when I a/b'ed
Cannonball Adderley's Something Else cd vs vynil and discovered that the
latter sounded much better.