Japan Story

deeplfo EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Sep 20 12:11:37 CEST 2007

So, the next place I played at that night, after the proceedings, I noticed that the usb port on my Vestax controller was broken. Probably yanked the usb cable at a bad angle or something.  I needed this thing to be working for my  Monday night gig, and even though I could do without it, it's just not the same.

Anyways, so the next morning I go down to the Akihabara area of Tokyo (Electric Town) and start hunting for a circuit montable type-A usb ports.  Akihabara is part of Tokyo that has loads of  small shops and stands that sell all kinds of electronic parts for either the hobbyists or the engineer from Sony Labs down the street.  There is also lots of consumer electronics on sale for blocks on end.  At first I was getting discouraged, but after a bit of chasing, I found one stand that had a few of these.  Got two of them, went next door and bought a soldering kit.  Came back to the hotel in Shibuya and spent the next few hours taking the Vestax unit apart, removing the broken port and soldering the new one.  Good as new.

This could only have happened in Tokyo, imo :-)

mohsen