Question: recording live musicians / clipped audio

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Sep 19 17:05:02 CEST 2007

the only solution is, unfortunately, very high sampling rate, very careful
mic placement, and very high bit depth.

if you dont have that, here is one solution..

If you have a standard 8 input audio interface you are using, then why not
use 6 stereo mics, and record each one at a slightly different level?   one
higher, one lower, and one right in the middle, for each mic placement (so,
yeah, your going to want to have a LOT of mics and a LOT of inputs..so its
expensive).   Then, if you have any sections that clip, you have a
(hopefully a sample and phase accurate) set of other tracks to crossfade
over to during the louder sections. conversely, if you have sections that
were very quiet and not capctured well on the low level recordings you can
swap over to the higher level ones without needing to normalize or do other
manipulations.

It seems to me the key to recording producing orchestral recordings would be
to do as LITTLE as possilbe to the recorded signal and definitely not make
it at  all noticeable.

Tony