Question: recording live musicians / clipped audio

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Sep 19 16:25:30 CEST 2007

The Dong wrote:
> Gert van Santen wrote:
>> This music can often be very dynamic.
>> The chance of clipping and distortion is
>> huge, or you must go for recording on a
>> low volume, which is bad for the sound
>> quality (low dynamics) as well.
>
> Good quality tube preamps don't clip and distort in that nasty digital
> fashion when too much shit hits them. Ummm...
>
> A <possible> solution with tube preamps. Ewwwww ;)

Yeah, that's all true, and part of the "tube magic" - except that we
want a *clean*, totally *undistorted* recording with the full dynamic
range still intact. If you hit the tubes hard, it may still sound
"nice", but you've lost the dynamic range that you wanted to retain in
the first place.

Bye
Martin

--