mini shelter meet

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Sep 18 03:04:04 CEST 2007

> Engineers are not good interface designers. Unfortunately, with small
> companies (which are favoured by Jay, or so I seem to remember ;)) you
> usually don't have the budget to hire a human interface professional.

This is a load of crap.  I'm so sick of hearing this old stereotyping
saw being used to hammer nails.  Software Engineers who sit down to
engineer a decent GUI quite often do a superlative job.  The problem
is that interface is not considered an engineering task, its all
supposed to 'only be done by creatives' or some other such dogma.
That is to say, this "engineers are not good interface designers"
dogma is self-fulfilling.  The more it is perpetuated, the more it
becomes true.

When its done properly, there is a lot of engineering involved, and
by that I mean:

;- To plan, manage, and put through by skillful acts or contrivance;
maneuver.

I'll grant you that its quite possible to engineer a crappy
interface; absolutely, however, good user interface design requires a
great deal of determinism that is not typically to be found in your
average programmer.  I would encourage everyone I know to think
outside the realms of the rules seen to be in play and dissuade
themselves of dogma that doesn't actually solve any problem, and that
is also not an accurate and fair representation of the scene.
Engineers can so do good interface design; it is a social problem,
and in that light, anyone intending to do a good job in this
situation needs to stop thinking anti-socially.

;
--
Jay Vaughan