Programmer's keyboard?

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Sep 16 02:16:16 CEST 2007

> Thanks, Tony. Light is definitely not an issue, since this is an office
> environment, and nothing short of Armageddon will make it dark, in which
> case reading my keyboard will be the least of my concerns. :)
>
> If you compare the Saitek keyboard to, say, a Microsoft keyboard, how do
> you like it? I got my son a Microsoft one and whilst it's perfectly
> adequate, I wouldn't want to spend 40 hours a week on it. It's feels too
> undefined, too mushy.

my wife has a microsoft ergonomic keyboard - I hate it.  this keyboard
is much better.  the keys have a nice push to them and feel sold, but
also dont wear out your fingers when you type (like the IBM keyboard I
have from 1984 that I use on my basement server).  the keys are not
very loud (accousticly) and the weight of the chasie combined with the
rubber pads on the bottom mean it doesnt slip around my desk like some
keys do.

> For my wife, I got a very stylish Cherry wireless keyboard, but again,
> the feel is quite different from what I'd want from a keyboard.

never used a Cherry keyboard, but I really dont like wireless.
changing batteries in my keyboard is just stupid imho.

> I should probably have mentioned that a US layout (with or without euro
> key) and wired USB connectivity are requirements. Wireless is out, as is
> any Logitech product. (They tend to break on me.)

the Saitek I mentioned is wired USB and US layout.  one other thing it
has is a side car 10 key pad thats programmable with two shift keys
that give you 30 key combos possible.  I have mine setup for when I
play certain gamse, but it also comes in handy with work related
stuff, as I have the keys setup to relay complex series of key
commands with the push of a single button.  Is very handy,
particularly in the studio.

tony