RIP: Luciano Pavarotti

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Sep 7 21:53:09 CEST 2007

Dave S schreef:

> I have never been a fan of opera, in fact I've often said I absolutely can't
> stand it.  But I'm finding myself quite saddened by Pavarotti's death
> yesterday!  :-S

Yes, I was thinking about posting a message myself. It's quite a loss.
I've been playing "Nessun dorma" a lot the last two days.

> He just seemed like a nice guy, and undeniably - like his music or hate it -
> had an amazing voice.  I guess I think big smiley dudes with beards are
> pretty cool too, probably because my own dad was a big-ish smiley dude with a
> beard.

Indeed. Whether you're an opera purist or the average guy in the street,
it cannot be denied that Pavarotti had an amazing voice. What I liked
most was the clarity of it. Whilst opera singers often have this
particular kind of singing and you end up not understanding a single
word, Pavarotti immediately stood out.

> I think I'm gonna give a bit of opera another spin, and maybe I'll end up
> liking it... just a little bit, at least Pavarotti.
>
> Maybe the Music Bar should do a Pavarotti tribute album - just for sheer
> off-the-wall weirdness factor heheh!  :-)

Hmm. I can just about manage a high A or perhaps even a B, but the C
lies outside of my reach (and I won't comment on the quality!). A proper
Pavarotti tribute ought to be vocal, of course, and I see challenges
there. :)

> How are y'all doin anyway?

Quite OK. Same old routine, which suits me quite well. How's yourself's?

- Peter