RAID

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Sep 5 17:44:48 CEST 2007

On Sep 5, 2007, at 3:28 AM, M@ Pic1 wrote:
> Does anyone have a suggestion how I can best (and relatively most
> affordably) get an external RAID device going here?

Don't.  Use a russian doll setup instead.

> I need at least 1TB... 2 would be optimal as I have a lot of
> exposure to
> loss across machines. Noise level is a concern for me.
> Seems the one thing I'm short of at this juncture is time!

Scale your disks the following way (the ones you have already):

smallest disk is in the most-used machine.  disk images (backups) of
work are then 'imaged' into the next-largest disks, then the next,
then the next, etc. through the use of your filesystem.

RAID is an expensive band-aid.  if your smallest disk is your most-
used one, then it becomes easier and easier to keep your own backup
scheme working - on whatever disks you choose to add to your setup.
remember: russian doll means you can be as *absolutely* safe as you
add disks, one by one, to your collection.

;

--
Jay Vaughan