OpenMoko progress ..

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Oct 30 11:37:08 CET 2007

As you guys know, I've become a huge fan of the OpenMoko phone:

http://www.openmoko.com/index.html

Hacking on it daily, its become a very stable and appealing platform
- surely there have been some wrinkles in the SDK department, but as
this is a pre-alpha release, its to be expected.  Well, things are
becoming a lot more stable, thats for sure.  You can track the
progress of the environment in the form of almost-daily screenshots
here:

http://scap.linuxtogo.org/

OpenMoko is a software environment which runs currently on a number
of different devices - not just the neo1973 phone pictured on the
main openmoko site (also known as the GTA01) but as well on phones
from Motorola and Samsung.  If you go through the screenshots
collected at scap, you might notice that there have been a lot of
improvements in the general environment - better fleshed out GUI's
for the 'main' apps you might want to use on your phone, as well as a
few other interesting additions.

I've decided I'm going to devote my software development efforts to
this environment for the immediate future, and will be releasing some
things shortly in that regard.  I recently got the Apple BT Wireless
keyboard working with the neo, and have a patch in the works to the
SettingsGUI to make connecting and using BT devices with the OpenMoko-
phones very easy .. one of the other BT devices that will be
interesting to integrate with the OpenMoko is, of course, the GP2X
+USB_BT_Module, which gives a very powerful and easy to use interface
to the GP2X_MidiShare environment I've integrated into Open2X ..
maybe you can see where I'm going with this.  GP2X+USB_Midi <--
bluetooth--> OpenMoko_GUI ..

Anyway, another recent addition to the OpenMoko environment has been
cairo.  This means very fluid interfaces can be built, quite rapidly,
which do nice visualizations and things .. right now its being used
in the onboard clock and world time apps, but it will be quite easy
to get this capability integrated into other apps too.  My immediate
inspiration: an OpenMoko drum machine, using a BT keyboard as the
control surface .. ;)

;
--
Jay Vaughan