Helping a Real Drummer Sync to Midi Tracks

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Oct 9 10:57:59 CEST 2007

Hi M@

M@ Pic1 wrote:
> I need a way to keep a real drummer in sync with midi clock. Headphones
> and metronome is possible I guess, but not ideal.

Yet, this is exactly what everybody seems to be using.

> Is there a visual metronome that syncs to midi? I envision a set of LEDs
> that can sweep back and forth like the eye of a 70s cylon, tasty little
> pauses at each end of the cycle...

It wouldn't be very hard to build something like this, as Jay already
mentioned. However, I seriously doubt that a visual metronome will be
any good. I certainly couldn't imagine synchronising my drumming to a
flashing light to any usable precision. Keep in mind that the ears have
a much higher temporal resolution than the eyes.

I'm sure you could easily prove me right or wrong: Set up a small Flash
animation (that varies speed a bit over time) and then try to sync to it.

Bye
Martin

--
http://www.navisto.ch