ADSL problem... any ideas?

Dave S EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Oct 6 14:51:39 CEST 2007

On Friday 05 October 2007, Peter Korsten wrote:
> Can you be a bit more specific about what "doesn't work" means?

See my reply to Jay.

> Do you mean that, whilst you can resolve the hostname, you can't connect to
> the host? Because that would indicate a routing problem. Niall mentioned
> that and I think he's on the mark.

Yep, that seems to be what's happening.

I'd quite like to get a packet sniffer on this (or even Firefox "Live HTTP
Headers" extension might help) to see what's really going on, but couldn't
manage to download anything the other day (d'oh)!

I'm going fully equipped next time!

> Is there any similarity, for instance geographically speaking, about
> what works and what doesn't? Although that Yahoo works and that Google
> doesn't is not really encouraging news in that regard.

It's really random - consistent, but the pattern is not one I can easily
identify.  I wondered if it might even be to do with IP address range.

So, I have a plan of action anyway:

1. Update firmware and see if that helps.
2. New PSU for old router, if I can find a suitable one.
3. Packet sniffer (maybe).

Cheers,

~Dave