ADSL problem... any ideas?

Dave S EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Oct 6 14:29:10 CEST 2007

On Friday 05 October 2007, Jay Vaughan wrote:
> By 'works' .. define what fails?

Indeed, it's strange.

It takes a very long time to look it up, and then just times out.  (Despite
the fact I can easily resolve the hostnames using nslookup.)

> Would be sensible - some routers have dodgy firmware that really does
> screw up routes and subnets ..

Well, I'm going to try and update the firmware, and beyond that, I think it's
time to try another router to be honest.  Unfortunately, I don't have a spare
ADSL router to try it with, as I'm on cable here.

Their old router is still there, and I tested it with my multimeter - seems
that it's actually the PSU that's broken (external wall wart), so next step
is to try and replace that, but it's a strange one: 6v DC, 2A.

I've only got a 500mA adjustable PSU, so can't really test it with that 'cos
it'll possibly / probably break it?  (I mean, I'm guessing the original one
is 2A output for a reason!)

> Could be a dodgy filter/blacklist setting on the router itself.  Have
> you tried the obvious: full factory reset?  Can you dump the config
> of the router to a local machine (yours for example) for user-
> readable view of the config?

Will try all that.  Apparently it has been factory reset (and appeared to be
that way), but I'm going to do it again, just ran out of time the other day.

First, I want to update the firmware and see if that helps.

(I haven't run out of ideas yet, just wondered if anyone had ever seen
anything like it, because I haven't!)

Cheers,

~Dave