Drive Reurrection

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Oct 5 16:34:50 CEST 2007

Niall Munnelly wrote:
> I'm finally retrieving nearly 120GB of MP3s I encoded a few

-Message forwarded to RIAA-  (fear them now!!!)

I've had two hard drives fail, one last week and one two weeks ago.
The one in my computer (320Gb Seagate made in Thailand) was only 3
months old, already have a replacement in. The other was a rather old
32Gb thing in my sons machine.

Both exhibited very obvious slowing down of reads and writes over a
course of days (and months in my sons one). Eventually, large chunks of
the new (seagate) drive became unreadable with masses of bad sectors. I
managed to rescue most of the important things before it got really bad,
but lost about 100Gb of this and that. It's like trying to recover data
from a badly scratched CD covered with chocolate sauce. On my sons
computer, it was fortunately a disk used solely as the OS partition that
failed. He has three disks with different data on each. Better than my
set up in this case...

You know how often you tell your friends, colleagues or kids to do
things and they gawp at you like a fool? (like back up vital data) well
my son still doesn't do it, even after that lucky escape (he has lots of
music, no not pirated music, his own bands recent scribblings) All
that's needed is to compile the songs into CWB (cakewalk bundle files)
and fire them off onto his little used CD burner, but no..

Must we really buy two hard drives these days to assure our data on
cheaply manufactured drives? I can only recall one other make of drive
failing on me so badly before (old IBMs) so bad in fact, that I gave up
sending the broken ones back because it was too much of a hassle.

Fingers crossed..