BBC NEWS | Technology | Apple iPhone warning proves true

Andrew Robinson EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Oct 2 00:45:24 CEST 2007

On 10/1/07, Peter Korsten <peter at severity-one.com> wrote:

> Aren't you mixing up Paul and me?

Oops, so I am, sorry! I've just switched from Thunderbird to Gmail, and it's
all a bit new :-/

Which makes the choice of Apple all the more amazing. They're going to
> fish in a market that is either saturated or not interested

It's saturated with bad phones, and that's why people are disinterested in
phone featurelists. They have learned that there's no ppoint getting exited
that a phone can do x, y or z, because the chances of it being usable for
actually doing x, y or z are next to zero. People are getting excited about
the iPhone because it can *actually* do a lot of things that their current
phone can *theoretically* do!

, and the only thing really going for them is that they have iTunes.

...and the usability in a field of it's own, the web browser, the biggest
memory for mp3s, the best video quality, text messages shown as a
conversation, the motion sensor turning for photos, visual voicemail, smart
design and no button-overload...

Mobile operators are really keen on increasing the use of data services, but
> it's damn difficult.

Because until now, there hasn't been any point in having lots of data on a
phone. My sony ericsson has an unusable  mp3 player,  an unusable web
browser,  and hopeless video playback - so it's not surprising I don't send
data to it. Once you have a decent web browser, iPod and half-vga picture
quality, then there is sudenly a reason to send data to the phone.

The only things that the iPhone has going for it is ease of use (in
> which it easily beats any competition) and the name of Apple. Sure, the
> Apple fanboys will all get one, but in the over 500 million potential
> customers in Europe, they're a very small and negligible group.

How many iPods do you think Apple has sold in Europe?

- Andy_R