BBC NEWS | Technology | Apple iPhone warning proves true

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Oct 1 23:07:11 CEST 2007

> Never before has a phone needed updated software...
> Sorry, but, mobile phones are considered a disposable item in
> todays world,
> with a 6 - 12 month life span at best. There's just no point in
> releasing
> 'OS" updates for a product that has a life of 6 months.

The point is: phones are the new PC's.  Newly designed hardware such
as in the iPhone and the neo1973 really is geared to provide the same
sort of mechanics as we have seen with PC's.  The iPhone resonates
because it is a manifestation of something we've all been feeling all
along: pocketable computers should one day catch up and do the work
of computers we've been lugging around or leaving on our desks for
decades.  The time for the pocket-computer is here and now, and the
iPhone is an instance of this ideology which, either way you look at
it, just plain works.

Definitely, there is enough power in the iPhone or the neo to keep
moderate computing users happy.  The question is: where are the tools
to allow the open development market, a primary force in the
expansion of computing power into any realm for which the job can be
compiled?  That we are even having this discussion is evidence that
even still, either some do get it and want to have a more embracive
grip on what gets done with those tools, or some don't get it and
can't see just how effective an open developer market can be in
extending the purpose of the pocket-computing initiative.

I know where I stand: developing a sample playback app for the open
source phone.  It rocks.   I can't wait to get the GTA02..

;
--
Jay Vaughan