BBC NEWS | Technology | Apple iPhone warning proves true

Andrew Robinson EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Oct 1 22:40:01 CEST 2007

On 10/1/07, Paul Maddox (Mail LIsts) <paul.maddox.mail-list at synth.net>
wrote:

> Never before has a phone needed updated software...

My current phone did. The battery life indicator didn't work right, fonts
occasionally corrupted, it crashed a lot (every other day!) and the video
player / mp3 player had no pause, fast forward or rewind until I did a
firmware update.

The difference compared to Apple is that SonyEricsson went out of their way
to pretend that the phone didn't need an update, and I had to borrow a ?30
cable and a spend about and hour on a Windows computer to do the update when
I found out about it.

It's a gimmick, Apple have nothing in the mobile phone market.

Apart from the only usable web browser, the only phone with an iPod, the
biggest memory in the market, the best video player in the market, a
reputation for usability that no other manufacturer of phones comes close
to, and the only phone that ever warranted a dozen threads on the 'bar.

- Andy_R