So, I Took an ABX Test

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Nov 28 14:49:43 CET 2007

Niall Munnelly wrote:
>> What I notice most about mp3 compression is the reduction in
>> ambience, mostly with reverb tails cut off quicker than
>> uncompressed, and just less spaciousness and stereo width in
>> general.
>
> Yep, and those were the parts I listened to specifically, along with
> cymbals.  I figured my results would be the extact opposite - the
> hermetically sealed, practically anechoic Autechre tracks would be
> hardest to judge, and the live room would make the Mozart track a
> cinch.  How wrong I was!

How much experience do you have listening to classical music? Once you
really know how an instrument is supposed to sound, you become a lot
more critical. For example, I didn't really bother much about the sound
of an acoustic guitar, until I recorded a rather mediocre one just
before I got the chance to record a pro playing a really good instrument
- the difference was absolutely striking, but I only really noticed once
I had that comparison.

Bye
Martin

--