catastrophic failure (CCTV Drive)

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Nov 16 14:40:19 CET 2007

> My understanding of low level hardware is limited so I appreciate the
> pointers and advice you have given me.

I'm not trying to discourage you - just saying be even *more* careful
about assumptions now that you've stepped a little further into
things ..

> Trust me, I totally realize what kind of mistake I have made and the
> fact that the police are waiting on me to get them the videos has
> contributed to this realization :(

Ouch!

> I'm completely drained so I'm off to bed and hopefully I can
> rethink my
> approach in the morning with the wonderful info you have given me.

You need a couple things:

1. a working drive from the security system, formatted and safe.
2. a backup 'dd' copy of your ruined drive.

 From there, you have a chance .. but its going to be a rough ride,
regardless.  Be prepared for some technical gymnastics...

j.