What Linux distro do you currently recommend?

Dave S EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Nov 14 13:12:24 CET 2007

Hey Shelter Bar,

My brother gave me his "old" laptop (when I say "old", it's actually got a
1GHz faster processor than my main desktop machine FFS!) and I'm wondering
what Linux distro to install on it.

I'm going to dual boot with WinXP for music stuff.

So, my choices (not in any particular order) are:

1. Gentoo - I've been using it on my desktop for quite a few years now, still
pretty happy with it, though the compile time and amount of set-up required
for stuff sometimes pisses me off.  Also seems that the "quality control" of
things marked "stable" isn't what it used to be... though I'm still very
happy with it for the most part.  It's quite a lot of work to begin with
though, and I'm wondering if really it's worth it?

2. Ubuntu - Seems everybody raves about it, and really, as long as it has most
of the apps I want, I can manually compile anything else I need, so no
problem.

3. Something else / better?  What do you recommend these days?

PCLinuxOS?  Sabayon?  Both seem popular according to distrowatch. I have a
Sabayon CD here, and have been using it as a live CD recently - seems OK, but
really, I think I'm missing the point of it in some ways, and would probably
rather just go with vanilla Gentoo, if I'm going to go that route.

I don't know anyone who uses PCLinuxOS, so don't know much about it, but it
seems like most of the reason people go for it is as a live CD?  I want to
install, so awesome live CD isn't particularly high on my list of priorities.
(Though that's why I have the Sabayon CD, because it's actually pretty good.)

Also, I would prefer a community-driven distro to a company-driven distro such
as Fedora.

Mostly I'll be doing web work, graphics, a bit of hacking around, maybe some
sound if I get along with the apps.  (I still find I just don't get along
with Linux audio apps, which isn't to say I have tried them all, but perhaps
doing it on Gentoo leaves too much to be desired?)

I'm quite tempted to go with Ubuntu (in fact, I feel like I've pretty much
talked myself into it and am looking more for reasons NOT to go with it), and
then set it up with KDE (my window manager of choice).  I know I could use
Kubuntu, but I think I'd rather start from a default Ubuntu and then just add
KDE to it... or maybe even give Gnome a spin and see how I get on.

Finally, does anyone have personal experience of using the Fuse NTFS-3G
drivers? From everything I've read, they seem to be great, but some personal
endorsements from my mates always bolster confidence.

Cheers,

~Dave