Recovery (was Re: serious WANT! Samsung SSD 64g drive ..)

Michael Zacherl EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Nov 13 02:43:22 CET 2007

On 13.11.2007 2:02 Uhr, Tony Scharf wrote:

> This is exactly how I backed up the data drive.  I did an image of the
> OS and a copy of the data.  Formatting the data drive instead of the
> backup drive was the error.

ok, understood.

> my usual backup procedure was to boot into knoppix, take an image of
> the OS drive and then use rsync to copy the data drive.   It was very
> simple and very effective, but cumbersome in that it required me to
> boot into knoppix to do the system drive.  I used cygwin to
> periodically just do the rsync portion with windows running.

how often do backup the system drive?

> Exactly - Knoppix didnt see the raid container correctly.  It *saw*
> the full 140gb partiton, but when it formated the drive it only
> actully erased 70gb and broke the container into two partitions.

yeah, got it - the new usb drive's device name literally became a moving
target (well it always was) - hence the desaster ...  :-(
'udev' would be your friend, but since it's Knoppix booted from CD it's
getting a bit bothersome.
e.g.
http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/nethub/article.php/3635686

All: anyone tried a recovery from a system backup done with "ntbackup"?
(comes with server and workstaion).

   g'd'n8! :-) Michael.

--
nonconform? noiseconform: http://blauwurf.at/