Soft-synth interface design

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Nov 2 18:10:16 CET 2007

Andy,

-

> Which hardware synth interfaces do you like and why?

Guitars, pianos and drums etc (yes - I consider these to be hardware
synth interfaces - all the more so because electronics is not involved).
Because the connection between unconscious and sound is not mediated by
intention. This is true of some synths. MS20 is the supreme example. Why
MS20 and not, say, a Moog, is not something I understand.

-

> What elements can you dream up that could only exist in software?

An infinite number. Reducing this number is the art of instrument
design. It took hundreds of years for instruments like the violin,
guitar, piano etc to reach their present form. Instrument design is not
like aircraft design. It is more like painting, so I'd suggest a study
of Picasso, Miles Davis, Eric Satie and Caligraphy as being more
relevant to the refinement of specific elements from the infinite set.
This only applies to music that is spared the burden of intentionality.
Those writing for a living may have a different set of needs and
requirements. Please do not be offended if you are one of those people.

> Do you appreciate shinny pretty graphics? Or do you prefer basic and
> clean?

Every musician appreciates aesthetics with reference to a different
internal language. For this reason, diversity is essential, and
conformity to a set of rules mistaken, except when this leads to greater
diversity.

> Do you like soft synths that look like old hardware? Or like they are
> a holographic interface from 2483? Or in between?

I would like a soft synth that *feels* like old hardware, but I don't
think this is what you mean. Instruments whose sound space can be
navigated entirely by touch are generally more expressive (in real time)
than those where the visual sense performs a crucial role, and
particularly where touch is abstracted to an infinite level (mouse) and
context specified visually, thereby requiring the brain to perform
continuous correlation at a high level between tactile and visual senses
that are not directly coupled to sound creation (like strings, or a
filter knob). This extra mental processing is a typical problem in
interface design. Reducing this burden is what acoustic instruments -
and some electronic ones - succeed magnificently in doing. It is the job
of the instrument designer to alleviate superfluous brain usage, so the
mind can wander in the fields of imagery and words, and translate these
directly into sound. Whenever superfluous mental processing is required,
conformity is imposed by the interface/instrument. The mental distance
between the sound made and the reason for its being made should be as
short as possible. Sometimes, even really geeky interfaces achieve this
- LEDs, buttons, even multi-layer menus - there are no rules, but I'd
say that hardware provides tactility, and there is something about
pressing a button, whose location is known, and whose function is not
completely variable, that leads to a concept of "instrument" in the
mind, that soft synths can only evoke.

> These questions are just some basic ones, the sky's the limit, any
> and all thoughts you have will be appreciated.

-

Tony (HB)