The Dresden Dolls

K9 Kai Niggemann EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Dec 31 05:05:50 CET 2007

Last night I stumbled upon a small listing in the Boston Phoenix
saying that the Dresden Dolls were playing at the Orpheum Theater - I
was on my way home from shopping, with a huge bag with about 10 books,
iPod (with mic), my camera, my (recently bought) Zoom H2 and all those
other things you don't usually bring to concerts...

I managed to locate the place quickly and they actually still had
tickets at the door. $25 got me in, security told me not to worry
about my camera -- "The Dresden Dolls let you take any picture you
want" - so I was in with all my bag...

The seat I got was in the 5th row, right in the middle -- amazing. I
had missed the opening acts "Meow Meow" and "Luminescent Orchestra",
but saw an amazing show of the Dresden Dolls. If you are not familiar
with them, they are a punk/cabaret band, rooted very much in theater
and their mixture of theatrical tension, great music (vocals, piano
and drums, most of the time, with some guitar) and story-telling
lyrics really got me. Amazing. I had liked them on CD, but this show
was just amazing. very nice people. No stupid rock star attitudes,
though, but also their talking to the crowd was very theater-like,
nice and seemed like they are approachable people.

I recorded a few bootleg tracks (I missed their Pink Floyd cover, but
caught their "Traditional Jewish Protest song" (fight for you right to
party by the Beastie Boys) and the infamous "Coin-Operated Boy",
mainly to try out the H2.

What a great show. Go see them live if you are into them at all. it's
all here to check them out: http://dresdendolls.com/

and: happy new year!

Kai