Some Photographs of Ireland

Niall Munnelly EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Dec 23 11:55:34 CET 2007

A Chairde,

I welcomed the winter's unconquered sun by giving my
old friend's earthly remains a permanent home in
Glanteenassig, or Gleann Ti an Easaigh, if you prefer -
"Valley of the Waterfalls".  I'm glad I could finally make
good on my promise to his wife.

Glanteenassig lies in the heart of a protected forest in the
west of Kerry.  As the glaciers of the last great ice age
advanced and receded, they rent the land into forbidding
rockfaces, burbling streams feeding lakes and lush, verdant
beds of grass and moss; he has been secreted from the
mundane world into the hearth of Irish history.

>From his seat at the foot of Carrigaspanaig*, one can see
the local mountains in the Slieve Mish chain, Doon {which I
scaled in skinnier times} and Commeen, Lough Slat {"Dirty
Lake". Sorry, B} in its entirety and, to the north, the
Tralee Bay and the Atlantic Ocean:

http://syncretism.net/img/byron/

I recommend visiting Glanteenassig during Bar na
hEireann - it's a terrific place to spend a few hours
trekking, drinking and shooting the shit {climbing big hills
not required}.

* The Spaniards' Rock, whence the unfortunate sailors of the
Armada, washed up on the shores near Castlegregory, were
purportedly thrown to their deaths by English soldiers.
Curiously, multiple sites in Ireland have claimed this
dubious distinction, making local histories rather suspect
or quite bloody, indeed.

--
Yours,
Niall.