Sound Synthesis

Gorman, Declan EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Aug 30 10:20:23 CEST 2007

Hey Tony,
  If I decide to build my own I will refer back to this email. :o)

Regards,

Declan.

-----Original Message-----
From: shelter-bounces at lists.music-bar.org
[mailto:shelter-bounces at lists.music-bar.org] On Behalf Of Tony
Hardie-Bick
Sent: 29 August 2007 23:53
To: shelter at lists.music-bar.org
Subject: Re: Sound Synthesis

Tom Davies wrote:
> Subtractive, gotta be eh
>
>> What is the best type of synthesis for a beginner to start with?
>>
>> FM? Sample? Wavetable? Subtractive? Additive? Physical Modelling?
>> Granular?
>>
>> Something else?

FM is by far the easiest. I say this, with my own particular bias
against the negative aspects of digital synthesis (ie, all the stuff
that causes people to think digital is inferior to analogue). With FM,
you have a sine oscillator (use a lookup table of 1024 points with
linear interpolation, or 65K points without). Equip yourself with
"Musical Applications of Microprocessors" by Hal Chamberlin, and just
use the oscilltor output as a phase modulation source to other sine
oscs, and/or to itself.

If you go the subtractive route you're not gonna be ready to implement
an alias free square or sawtooth oscillator. That stuff is
counter-intuitive, and not fun until you've really hit on lots of other
tricks first. Heavy on the maths. Tough on the codability too.

Plenty of books will tell you to make a sawtooth waveform by simply
adding a number to a register (or integer variable) and let it
wraparound. Well, fine. That will give you aliasing. Same if you use a
conditional to get square and pulse width, unless you use a really high
sample rate (8x or 16x is beginning to be okay). The whole reason there
are still analogue synths in production, is because digital synths got a

bad name from these techniques. Personally, I believe digital is a
fantastic unlimited resource for acoustic aesthetics of unlimited
beauty, and have refused to compromise on such issues - so, up till now,

I have used FM in all the digital synths I built and programmed.

Filters are another area where digital has given itself a bit of a bad
name. Depends on what you're after. Many digital synths have simple,
well-implemented, high quality non-distorting filters. These are not
"warm" or crazy, or particularly characterful, but in the cold aesthetic

of the digital synth that somewhat prevails, this may in fact be an
enormous advantage (many excellent synth products fall in this category,

incl. all Virus models, Korg MS2000, all Roland's digital stuff). There
are only a couple of digital synths that seem to have captured some of
the roughness of analogue filters, and these are: Korg Legacy series
MS20, Elektron synths with SID emulation. Yamaha AN1X gets an honourable

mention. Many synths place a distortion stage (sigmoid LUT) after the
filter, which is the surest way to make a dull filter sound nasty, as
well as dull. The distortion belongs inside the iterated signal feedback

paths (ie, applied to a state variable) INSIDE the filter, not outside.
You need to choose your algorithm so that the overdrive is fed with an
appropriate signal. If you want to look at a no-compromise filter
written in C, you can grab this:

http://www.entity.net/DFM-1/downloads/dfm1.tar.gz

musicdsp.org has a load of algorithms, but you'd need to read a lot
before you'd get the big picture, and still some info seems missing from

there.

One great thing about FM, is you get variable spectra, without having to

do any filtering, and you can add that when you want to get into it.

Digital without cheese costs extra. Depends on what you're looking for.
Personally, I love analogue sounds, but would like to know *why* that
stuff sounds good, and put it down in code so I, and anybody else can
use it. FM is a great way to pursue this goal keeping the code intuitive

and therefore inline with one's goal of exploring the aesthetics of
musical programming.

Oh. Did I write all that?

Tony (HB)