Roland UM-1 Hack

Matt Seil xeno6696 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 17:42:39 CET 2022

Ibi-Sum's response on the A4K post reminded me that Roland "obsoleted"
it's old UM-1 and UM-1x midi interfaces.  Most of you probably use
something else, but I was able to get it to install on Windows 10 by
fixing a couple of text files.

I found the instructions here: http://johnwarburton.net/blog/?p=25289

You have to put your windows machine into test mode--I'm fairly certain
this procedure will be closed to us on Win 11 machines. (yay capitalism!)

At any rate, I want to make sure this gets archived somewhere. (My hunt
for A4k materials has had me hitting wayback machine ALOT.)

You can fix this with a text editor. Remember also you must set your
Windows installation NOT to enforce driver signing. Please see the
comments (below) for how to do this.

 1. Download from Roland the driver archive for Windows 8.1. Its
    filename is um1_w81d_v101.zip.
 2. Unpack the archive.
 3. If you have a 64-bit machine, browse within the archive to this folder:
    um1_w81d_v101\Files\64bit\Files
 4. Open the file RDIF1009.INF in your favourite text editor.
 5. Edit line 33, changing:
    %MfgName%=Roland,NTamd64.6.2,NTamd64.7…to
    %MfgName%=Roland,NTamd64.10.0,NTamd64.7
 6. Edit line 42, changing:
    [Roland.NTamd64.6.2] …to
    [Roland.NTamd64.10.0]
 7. Save this file and exit the editor.
    One successful user reported that he plugged-in the UM-1 at this point.
 8. Browse to your Device Manager by holding down the ‘Windows’ key,
    pressing ‘R’, then selecting “Device Manager” from the menu that
    appears.
 9. Double-click on your non-functioning UM-1, which will be labelled
    “Unknown device”.
10. Select the second tab: “Driver”
11. Click the “Update driver…” button
12. Click “Browse my computer for driver software”
13. Browse to the folder containing the file you have just edited
14. Click ‘OK’ to select the directory, then click ‘Next’
15. When Windows complains “Windows can’t verify the publisher of this
    driver software”, click “Install this driver software anyway”
16. Wait until you see “Windows has successfully updated your driver
    software.

Done! You’ve installed the Windows 8.1 driver for the Roland/Edirol
UM-1X on Windows 10, even though Roland state they don’t support this
device. I can confirm that the MIDI input works just fine.